Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Down With Lifehacking

This post is based on the article "Down With Lifehacking" by Evgeny Morozov. This article is based on making time and managing that time. He describes life hacking as a technique adopted in order to manage one's time and daily activities in a more efficient way. People should use technology to get things done more effectively and have more time for oneself. However, he goes on to say that maybe technology is doing the opposite and I agree. Technology is taking up so much of our time and we are so consumed by it that we get distracted from everything around us. Instead of spending our time using technology to make more time for ourselves, we are spending our free time looking for the latest new technology or upgrade. Technology is actually taking away our leisure time because we are wired in 24/7. I can think of multiple occasions of being with my friends and they are all just on their phones looking at twitter or instagram and texting. There are so many networks and sites to keep up with that it is taking up so much time. I personally am not really attached to my phone. Anytime I am on vacation, I just turn my phone off and do not turn it back on until it is absolutely necessary. I am not one of those people who brings their phone everywhere either. I have no problem being without my phone. The same can not be said for others. It actually bugs me how obsessed people are with technology. I hate being with my friends and the only thing they want to do is watch television or play on their phones. I also cannot stand when people use their phones when driving. Like you can't wait? Technology, in my opinion, wastes time verses saving it. Sure, things like google make it easy to access certain information but other than that, we waste so much time on the internet. I feel like most people around my age, myself included, find technology as an easy way to procrastinate. This being said, I think that technology is a lifehacker but not in the most productive way.

No comments:

Post a Comment