Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Technology in Education

Technology is becoming much more prevalent in schools these days. The majority of classrooms have multiple computers. Some have tv's or smart boards. All of these tools are making teaching easier and using technology to get the lesson across. But is technology also hurting the student? While technology is used in the classroom, it is also used outside the classroom for homework or research. The majority of students have laptops or iPads and stay up late at night to complete their work on them. For some, I know that working on a computer can be somewhat distracting. When typing something up or looking up information on the computer, I know that I personally get distracted. I will type up a little bit and then check facebook, go on twitter, or listen to some music and next thing I know, an hour has passed and I am still not done with my work. The only thing stopping someone from getting distracted is self control which some people lack. Also, studies have shown that using electronics before bed such as a computer or cell phone throws off your sleep schedule due to the bright lights. And I know that lots of students stay up working on homework before bed. An article from US News says "The problem is that light exposure before sleep can disrupt body rhythms and suppress the release of the hormone melatonin, which promotes sleep."

No comments:

Post a Comment